KDE 4.0.0 Info Page
KDE 4.0 was released on January 11th, 2008.
This page will be updated to reflect changes in the status of 4.0 release cycle so check back for new information.
Please report possible problems to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a list of grave bugs and common pitfalls surfacing after the release was packaged:
- None known currently
Please check the bug database before filing any bug reports. Also check for possible updates on this page that might describe or fix your problem.
Download and Installation
Build instructions. Build instructions are separately maintained.
The KDE release is split into a platform release and a desktop release.
The complete source code for KDE 4.0 is available for download:
Some Linux/UNIX OS vendors have kindly provided binary packages of KDE 4.0 for some versions of their distribution, and in other cases community volunteers have done so. Some of these binary packages are available for free download from KDE's http or FTP mirrors.
Currently pre-compiled packages are available for:
- An alpha version of KDE4-based Arklinux 2008.1 is expected shortly after this release, with an expected final release within 3 or 4 weeks.
- Debian KDE 4.0 packages are available in the experimental branch. The KDE Development Platform will even make it into Lenny. Watch for announcements by the Debian KDE Team. Rumours are that a Live CD is planned as well.
- Fedora will feature KDE 4.0 in Fedora 9, to be released in April, with Alpha releases being available from 24th of January. KDE 4.0 packages are in the pre-alpha Rawhide repository.
- Gentoo Linux provides KDE 4.0 builds on http://kde.gentoo.org.
- Kubuntu packages are included in the upcoming "Hardy Heron" (8.04) and also made available as updates for the stable "Gutsy Gibbon" (7.10). A Live CD is available for trying out KDE 4.0. More details can be found in the announcement on Kubuntu.org.
- Mandriva will provide packages for 2008.0 and aims at producing a Live CD with the latest snapshot of 2008.1.
- openSUSE packages are available for openSUSE 10.3 (one-click install), openSUSE Factory (one-click install) and openSUSE 10.2. A KDE Four Live CD with these packages is also available. KDE 4.0 will be part of the upcoming openSUSE 11.0 release.