August 12, 2015. KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.13.0.
KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the Frameworks 5.0 release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this Version
- KFileMetadata: file metadata and extraction library
- Baloo: file indexing and searching framework
Changes affecting all frameworks
- The Qt version requirement has been bumped from 5.2 to 5.3
- Debug output has been ported to categorized output, for less noise by default
- Docbook documentation has been reviewed and updated
- Fix crash in directories-only file dialog
- Don’t rely on options()->initialDirectory() for Qt < 5.4
KDE Doxygen Tools
- Add man pages for kapidox scripts and update maintainer info in setup.py
- KBookmarkManager: use KDirWatch instead of QFileSystemWatcher to detect user-places.xbel being created.
- HiDPI fixes for KLineEdit/KComboBox
- KLineEdit: Don’t let the user delete text when the lineedit is readonly
- Don’t recommend to use deprecated API
- Don’t generate deprecated code
- Add Kdelibs4Migration::kdeHome() for cases not covered by resources
- Fix tr() warning
- Fix KCoreAddons build on Clang+ARM
- KDBusService: document how to raise the active window, in Activate()
- Fix deprecated KRun::run call
- Same behavior of MouseArea to map coords of filtered child events
- Detect initial face icon being created
- Don’t refresh the entire window when we render the plotter (bug 348385)
- add the userPaths context property
- Don’t choke on empty QIconItem
KDELibs 4 Support
- kconfig_compiler_kf5 moved to libexec, use kreadconfig5 instead for the findExe test
- Document the (suboptimal) replacements for KApplication::disableSessionManagement
- change sentence about reporting bugs, ack’ed by dfaure
- adapt german user.entities to en/user.entities
- Update general.entities: change markup for frameworks + plasma from application to productname
- Update en/user.entities
- Update book and man page templates
- Use CMAKE_MODULE_PATH in cmake_install.cmake
- BUG: 350799 (bug 350799)
- Update general.entities
- Search for required perl modules.
- Namespace a helper macro in the installed macros file.
- Adapted key name tranlations to standard tranlations provided by Termcat
- Install Breeze theme
- Kemoticons: make Breeze emotions standard instead of Glass
- Breeze emoticon pack made by Uri Herrera
- Let KHtml be useable w/o searching for private deps
- Remove temporary string allocations.
- Remove Theme tree debug entry
- Private headers for platform plugins get installed.
- Kill unneeded QUrl wrappers
- New proxy: KExtraColumnsProxyModel, allows to add columns to an existing model.
- Fix the starting Y position for fallback popups
- Reduce dependencies and move to Tier 2
- catch unknown notification entries (nullptr deref) (bug 348414)
- Remove pretty much useless warning message
- make the subtitles, subtitles ;)
- kpackagetool: Fix output of non-latin text to stdout
- Add AllPhoneNumbersProperty
- PersonsSortFilterProxyModel now available for usage in QML
- krosscore: Install CamelCase header “KrossConfig”
- Fix Python2 tests to run with PyQt5
- Fix kbuildsycoca –global
- KToolInvocation::invokeMailer: fix attachment when we have multi attachement
- guard default log level for Qt < 5.4.0, fix log cat name
- add hl for Xonotic (bug 342265)
- add Groovy HL (bug 329320)
- update J highlighting (bug 346386)
- Make compile with MSVC2015
- less iconloader use, fix more pixelated icons
- enable/disable find all button on pattern changes
- Improved search & replace bar
- remove useless ruler from powermode
- more slim search bar
- vi: Fix misreading of markType01 flag
- Use correct qualification to call base method.
- Remove checks, QMetaObject::invokeMethod guards itself against that already.
- fix HiDPI issues with color pickers
- Cleanup coe: QMetaObject::invokeMethod is nullptr safe.
- more comments
- change the way the interfaces are null safe
- only output warnings and above per default
- remove todos from the past
- Use QVarLengthArray to save the temporary QVector iteration.
- Move the hack to indent group labels to construction time.
- Fixup some serious issues with the KateCompletionModel in tree mode.
- Fix broken model design, which relied on Qt 4 behavior.
- obey umask rules when saving new file (bug 343158)
- add meson HL
- As Varnish 4.x introduces various syntax changes compared to Varnish 3.x, I wrote additional, separate syntax highlighting files for Varnish 4 (varnish4.xml, varnishtest4.xml).
- fix HiDPI issues
- vimode: don’t crash if the <c-e> command gets executed in the end of a document. (bug 350299)
- Support QML multi-line strings.
- fix syntax of oors.xml
- add CartoCSS hl by Lukas Sommer (bug 340756)
- fix floating point HL, use the inbuilt Float like in C (bug 348843)
- split directions did got reversed (bug 348845)
- add *.cljs (bug 349844)
- Update the GLSL highlighting file.
- fixed default colors to be more distinguishable
- Delete old highlighter
- Fix Windows build
- Print a warning with error code when opening the wallet by PAM fails
- Return the backend error code rather than -1 when opening a wallet failed
- Make the backend’s “unknown cipher” a negative return code
- Watch for PAM_KWALLET5_LOGIN for KWallet5
- Fix crash when MigrationAgent::isEmptyOldWallet() check fails
- KWallet can now be unlocked by PAM using kwallet-pam module
- New API taking QIcon parameters to set the icons in the tab bar
- KCharSelect: Fix unicode category and use boundingRect for width calculation
- KCharSelect: fix cell width to fit contents
- KMultiTabBar margins now are ok on HiDPI screens
- KRuler: deprecate unimplemented KRuler::setFrameStyle(), clean up comments
- KEditListWidget: remove margin, so it aligns better with other widgets
- Harden NETWM data reading (bug 350173)
- guard for older Qt versions like in kio-http
- Private headers for platform plugins are installed.
- Platform specific parts loaded as plugins.
- Fix method behavior KShortcutsEditorPrivate::importConfiguration
- Using a pinch gesture one can now switch between the different zoom levels of the calenda
- comment about code duplication in icondialog
- Slider groove color was hardcoded, modified to use color scheme
- Use QBENCHMARK instead of a hard requirement on the machine’s performance
- Calendar navigation has been significantly improved, providing a year and decade overview
- PlasmaCore.Dialog now has an ‘opacity’ property
- Make some space for the radio button
- Don’t show the circular background if there’s a menu
- Add X-Plasma-NotificationAreaCategory definition
- Set notifications and osd to show on all desktops
- Print useful warning when we can not get valid KPluginInfo
- Fix potential endless recursion in PlatformStatus::findLookAndFeelPackage()
- Rename software-updates.svgz to software.svgz
- Add in CMake bits to enable building of Voikko plugin.
- Implement Sonnet::Client factory for Voikko spell chekers.
- Implement Voikko based spell checker (Sonnet::SpellerPlugin)
You can discuss and share ideas on this release in the comments section of the dot article.
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks. Get KDE Software on Your Linux Distro wiki page
Compiling from sources
The complete source code for KDE Frameworks 5.13.0 may be freely downloaded. Instructions on compiling and installing KDE Frameworks 5.13.0 are available from the KDE Frameworks 5.13.0 Info Page.
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.13.0 requires Qt
Those interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories and follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on freenode.net.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Supporting KDE page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our Join the Game initiative.