June 12, 2015. KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.11.0.
KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the Frameworks 5.0 release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this Version
Extra CMake Modules
- New arguments for ecm_add_tests(). (bug 345797)
- Use the correct initialDirectory for the KDirSelectDialog
- Make sure the scheme is specified when overriding the start url value
- Only accept existing directories in FileMode::Directory mode
(no changelog provided)
- Make KAUTH_HELPER_INSTALL_ABSOLUTE_DIR available to all KAuth users
- KEmailAddress: Add overload for extractEmailAddress and firstEmailAddress which returns an error message.
- Fix unwanted selection when editing the filename in the file dialog (bug 344525)
- Prevent crash if QWindow::screen() is null
- Add KConfigGui::setSessionConfig() (bug 346768)
- New KPluginLoader::findPluginById() convenience API
- support creation of ConfigModule from KPluginMetdata
- fix pressAndhold events
KDELibs 4 Support
- Use QTemporaryFile instead of hardcoding a temporary file.
- Update translations
- Update customization/ru
- Fix entities with wrong links
- Cache the theme in the integration plugin
- [runtime] Move platform specific code into plugins
- Optimize KIconEngine::availableSizes()
- Do not try to complete users and assert when prepend is non-empty. (bug 346920)
- Use KPluginLoader::factory() when loading KIO::DndPopupMenuPlugin
- Fix deadlock when using network proxies (bug 346214)
- Fixed KIO::suggestName to preserve file extensions
- Kick off kbuildsycoca4 when updating sycoca5.
- KFileWidget: Don’t accept files in directory only mode
- KIO::AccessManager: Make it possible to treat sequential QIODevice asynchronously
- Add new method fillMenuFromGroupingNames
- KMoreTools: add many new groupings
- KMoreToolsMenuFactory: handling for “git-clients-and-actions”
- createMenuFromGroupingNames: make url parameter optional
- Fix crash in NotifyByExecute when no widget has been set (bug 348510)
- Improve handling of notifications being closed (bug 342752)
- Replace QDesktopWidget usage with QScreen
- Ensure KNotification can be used from a non-GUI thread
- Guard the structure qpointer access (bug 347231)
- Use QTemporaryFile instead of hardcoding /tmp.
- Use tcgetattr & tcsetattr if available
- Fix loading of Kross modules “forms” and “kdetranslation”
- When running as root preserve file ownership on existing cache files (bug 342438)
- Guard against being unable to open stream (bug 342438)
- Fix check for invalid permissions writing file (bug 342438)
- Fix querying ksycoca for x-scheme-handler/* pseudo-mimetypes. (bug 347353)
- Allow like in KDE 4.x times 3rdparty apps/plugins to install own highlighting XML files into katepart5/syntax
- Add KTextEditor::Document::searchText()
- Bring back use of KEncodingFileDialog (bug 343255)
- Add a method to clear decorator
- Allow to use custom sonnet decorator
- Implement “find previous” in KTextEdit.
- Re-add support for speech-to-text
- KAssistantDialog: Re-add the Help button that was present in KDELibs4 version
- Add session management for KMainWindow (bug 346768)
- Drop WiMAX support for NM 1.2.0+
- Calendar components can now display week numbers (bug 338195)
- Use QtRendering for fonts in password fields
- Fix AssociatedApplicationManager lookup when a mimetype has (bug 340326)
- Fix panel background coloring (bug 347143)
- Get rid of “Could not load applet” message
- Capability to load QML kcms in plasmoid config windows
- Don’t use the DataEngineStructure for Applets
- Port libplasma away from sycoca as much as possible
- [plasmacomponents] Make SectionScroller follow the ListView.section.criteria
- Scroll bars no longer automatically hide when a touch screen is present (bug 347254)
- Use one central cache for the SpellerPlugins.
- Reduce temporary allocations.
- Optimize: Do not wipe dict cache when copying speller objects.
- Optimise away save() calls by calling it once at the end if needed.
You can discuss and share ideas on this release in the comments section of the dot article.
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks. Get KDE Software on Your Linux Distro wiki page
Compiling from sources
The complete source code for KDE Frameworks 5.11.0 may be freely downloaded. Instructions on compiling and installing KDE Frameworks 5.11.0 are available from the KDE Frameworks 5.11.0 Info Page.
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.11.0 requires Qt
Those interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories and follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on freenode.net.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Supporting KDE page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our Join the Game initiative.