Wednesday, 18 October 2023
KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.111.0.
KDE Frameworks are 83 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the KDE Frameworks release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this version
- Use the FSID as the device identifier where possible (bug 471289)
Extra CMake Modules
- ecm_add_tests/ecm_add_test: add argument WORKING_DIRECTORY
- Unset bug address for implicitly created KAboutData (bug 473517)
KDE GUI Addons
- mark geo-scheme-handler as non-gui executable on macOS/Windows
- avif: support repetition count
- raw: fix multi image load
- hdr: fix oss-fuzz issue 62197
- hdr: fix crash (oss-fuzz)
- xcf: fix crash (oss-fuzz issue 62075)
- xcf: fix oss-fuzz issue
- dbusactivationrunner: only activate well-formed services (bug 475266)
- DBusActivationRunner: fix object path according to spec
- Undeprecate KCoreDirLister::setMimeExcludeFilter
- Fix incomplete error strings in MimeTypeFinderJob
- Don't crash if KMountPoint gives nothing back while checking for CIFS (bug 474451)
- trashimpl: optimize TrashSizeCache::calculateSize (bug 461847)
- trash: Optimize trashimpl::adaptTrashSize
- [kfilewidget] Fixing saving to files with quotes (bug 426728)
- KPropertiesDialog: Force PlainText on size label
- AboutPage: Allow overriding donateUrl by aliasing it from AboutItem (bug 474864)
- runnerpython: Fix install script paths to desktop files (bug 474866)
- KService: allow .desktop files without an Exec line (bug 430157)
- Remove "No date" option from date picker popup used by date combo box
- Set the modes on the date picker
- Fix file rating being unreadable in certain themes (bug 339863)
- Explain in deprecation message that logical coordinates must be used in KF6
- Set mode for more config file endings (bug 475078)
- Highlight MapCSS numeric and string condition values
- textproto syntax: Support multipart strings
- textproto syntax: Add test case for octal escape sequences
- textproto syntax: Support some types of comments
- textproto syntax: Allow empty strings
- textproto syntax: Allow commas between fields
- Add TextProto syntax (protocol buffer Text Format Language)
The released code has been GPG-signed using the following key: pub rsa2048/58D0EE648A48B3BB 2016-09-05 David Faure email@example.com Primary key fingerprint: 53E6 B47B 45CE A3E0 D5B7 4577 58D0 EE64 8A48 B3BB
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks. Get KDE Software on Your Linux Distro wiki page
Compiling from sources
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.111.0 requires Qt 5.15.2.
Those interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories and follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on Libera Chat.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Supporting KDE page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our Join the Game initiative.